Android 4.0: Get your sweet tooth for some Ice Cream Sandwich [Highlights]
Google finally unveiled their next update for the world’s biggest mobile platform today at an event in Hong Kong. The Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich has a lot of new UI changes, some added features and loads of API additions and upgrades. So here’s a quick article highlighting the new features and additions of the Android 4.0 OS.
- No physical keys, replaced by virtual buttons in the system bar that lets users navigate instantly to Back, Home, and Recent Apps.
- Multitasking has been improved and also includes a new interface which has a list that pops up to show thumbnail images of apps used recently.
- Cloud integration will be implemented by Google, we quite don’t know how much space will be offered as of now.
- New lock-screen which includes an option to open camera without unlocking, shows notifications which you can directly deal with and also locking and unlocking via face-lock which uses the front cam.
- Rich and versatile camera capabilities with new UI. Now includes continuous focus, zero shutter lag exposure, decreased shot-to-shot speed, stabilized image zoom, built-in face detection, tap to focus, single-motion panorama mode and various image editing and sharing options.
- Improved web browser with synching capabilities, desktop view, offline reading option, and loads more.
- Improved Email integration with improved UI and usability.
- Resizable and fully customisable widgets.
- The gallery app has been redesigned with an album layout and also includes a photo editor.
- The voice input engine has been further improved
- Improved spell check and text input.
- Control over network data with new controls for managing network data usage including charts and graphs.
- Android Beam lets you transfer media files, and other content by just tapping your handset thanks to NFC.
- Wi-Fi direct which enables quick connectivity and reliability and Bluetooth with Health Device Profile and Hands Free Profile.