LG G5 unveiled, features 3 cameras and a modular design
The most anticipated smartphone, LG G5 is unveiled today at the MWC event held in Barcelona. With all the new hardware and specifications, the new look is also witnessed as a metallic and a modular design including a removable battery that slides out from the bottom.
In an effort to take out the competition, LG has also introduced something new that what others aren’t doing, i.e. a swappable module giving you a new experience on a smartphone. A similar concept as seen on the Google’s Project ARA which isn’t released yet. More expansion modules can be added such as digital camera module and a hi-fi audio player.
Talking about the hardware and specifications, the LG G5 has a 5.3-inch Quad HD IPS Quantum Display having a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels (554 ppi) featuring ‘Always-on Display’ for enhanced convenience. Running on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow, it houses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC with a big 4 GB RAM module, high-performance Adreno 530 GPU and a 32 GB UFS storage which can be extended up to 2 TB using Micro SD. In addition to that, the Snapdragon 820 also includes an integrated X12 LTE modem supporting 600 Mbps Cat12 download speeds and 150 Mbps LTE Cat13 upload speeds. Moreover, it has the new USB type-C as a connectivity feature.
Furthermore, The G5 sports a dual camera – 16 MP primary and another 8 MP at the back that uses a 135-degree wide angle lens which is the widest camera available in the smartphone market. The front has an 8 MP camera. That makes a total 3 cameras in a single smartphone.
As for the battery, it is powered by a 2800 mAh removable battery that can slide out using the modular design and inject a new fully charged one easily. LG may be planning to manufacture more modules soon. There will be 4 color variants – Silver, Titan, Gold, and Pink. So far, LG did not reveal about the pricing and the availability.
As a part of LG’s ecosystem, other products were also announced at the event.
- LG 360 VRLG 360 CAM
- LG 360 CAMLG Rolling Bot
- LG Rolling BotLG Tone PlatinumTM
- LG Tone PlatinumTMH3 by B&O PLAY
- H3 by B&O PLAYLG Smart Controller
- LG Smart Controller
- LG Friends Manager
Juno Cho, president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company said,
“The new LG G5 will encourage owners to rediscover the true joy of a mobile life“.
He further added,
“The G5 and LG Friends are the result of many experts inside LG asking themselves if it was still possible to be innovative and unique in the smartphone space. I think once customers spend a little time with the LG G5, their answer will be a resounding yes.“
LG G5 Specifications
- Display: 5.3-inch Quad HD IPS Quantum Display (2560 x 1440 pixels resolution, 554 ppi)
- Software: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
- GPU: Adreno 530
- Memory: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Storage: 32GB UFS ROM, Expandable up to 2 TB using MicroSD
- Main Camera: Dual Camera: 16 MP main and 8 MP wide-angle
- Front Camera: 8 MP
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a,b,g,n,ac, USB Type-C, NFC, Bluetooth 4.2
- Network: Single SIM, supports 4G LTE network, Nano SIM Slot
- Battery: 2800 mAh (removable)
- Others: LG Cam Plus & LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play, Qualcomm QuickCharge 3.0, Low Power Location Estimation (LPLE) Technology, aptX™ HD: 24-bit Hi-Fi Wireless Audio
- Dimensions: 149.4 m x 73.9 mm x 7.7 mm
- Weight: 159 grams
- Color Variant: Silver, Titan, Gold, Pink