This update will end the wait of OnePlus X users who have been waiting for Android Marshmallow for months. In a Reddit AMA yesterday, OnePlus Co-Founder Carl Pei had said that OnePlus X would be receiving Android Marshmallow OTA next week. However, the Chinese company seems ahead of schedule (no pun intended) as it has started rolling out the update.
Here’s what’s new in the update:
- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow upgrade
- Launcher upgrades
- New icon packs
- Google search bar UI customization
- New design of wallpaper picker
- Shelf UX improvements
- Long press boards to rearrange or remove
- General system performance improvement
- Settings changes
- New (native Android) app permissions
- New Alert Slider settings with more customization options
- New apps
- OnePlus Music Player
- OnePlus Gallery
- Implemented October Android security patches
- General bug fixes
It’s interesting to see that OnePlus has included October Android security patch with the update when Google hasn’t even released it yet. However, it’s worth noting that Google shares the code with its partners a month before the release, hence, OnePlus was able to include the patch in this update.
This might well be the last Android version update being rolled out to OnePlus X as it’s very unlikely that it will receive the Nougat update. The update is rolled out over the air and is incremental, hence, it will take some time before it reaches everyone. However, if you can’t wait, you can check for the update manually by going to Settings >About phone > System Update.