The Samsung Galaxy Pro A9 Pro is a 6-inch phablet with a massive 5,000 mAh battery. It’s the second generation of the old A9 lineup launched with a few upgrades in the camera segment, software and the battery while the rest of the specifications yet appears to be the same from its old generation Galaxy A9. Let’s see what the new device has to offer in our Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro Hands-on.
Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro Specifications
- Display: 6-inch Full HD Super AMOLED Display (1920 x 1080 pixels resolution | 367 ppi pixel density)
- Display Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Software: Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with TouchWiz UI
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, on the home button
- CPU: Up to 1.8 GHz octa-core processor, Snapdragon 652 (MSM8976) SoC
- GPU: Adreno 510
- Memory: 4 GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Storage: 32 GB internal, up to 256 GB external (MicroSD)
- Main Camera: 16 MP, f/1.9, autofocus, OIS support, single LED flash, 1080p video @30fps
- Front Camera: 8 MP, f/1.9, 1080p video @30fps
- Connectivity: Micro USB, 3.5 mm audio jack, NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- Others: Samsung Knox Security
- Cellular: 4G LTE, Cat6, Dual nano-SIM (GSM + GSM), VoLTE-enabled
- SAR Value: 0.353 W/Kg @1g (Head)
- Battery: 5000 mAh (non-removable)
- Power Adapter: Fast Charger (Output: 9V, 1.67A | 5V, 2A)
- Dimensions: 161.7 mm x 80.9 mm x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 210 grams
- Colors: White, Black, Gold
- Price: ₹32,490
- Warranty: 1 Year
Samsung Galaxy Pro A9 is a midrange 6-inch phablet with an oversized 5,000 mAh battery making sure that it brings a 2-day battery life. Its 6-inch display uses a Super AMOLED full HD panel. Further, it sports an octa-core Snapdragon 652 CPU along with a huge 4 GB RAM and 32 GB internal storage.
The Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro isn’t powered by a homegrown Exynos processor but instead a third-party Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 SoC. While the other Galaxy A series are using Samsung Exynos chip. A9 Pro also differs from them, this one comes under phablet category.
Like other Galaxy A series, A9 Pro is also covered with a metal frame and glass back. It boasts a flat design with 2.5D curved glass on both sides. It might slip from your sweaty hands, thanks to its glass body. Not very comfortable to hold in one hand, but the multimedia experience is fantastic due to its large AMOLED screen.
Its hefty 210 grams weight seems coming from its big 5000 mAh battery. The A9 Pro is even larger that its 5.7-inch Note companion. When I first pick up, it was a bit heavier side. Since it’s a phablet with a 6-inch screen and a big 5000 mAh battery, it may feel heavy and big, otherwise, it looks bold and beautiful with its metal and glass body. It is covered with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 on both sides.
The design also looks familiar to the last year’s Samsung Galaxy S6, in fact, A9 Pro and other phones from A series use design language from their old flagship product S6. I fancy the thin bezels around the gorgeous AMOLED display. They are as narrow as 2.7 mm.
The back features a 16 MP f/1.9 camera with OIS support. The camera can record 1080p videos but doesn’t record slow motion videos. On the front side, the is an 8 MP camera for capturing selfies.
It offers a dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth 4.2, NFC and GPS. There sits a fingerprint sensor on the home button. Being a premium segment smartphone, Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro doesn’t offer a heart rate sensor at the like their flagships companions.
Moving to the right, you will see a power button and a separate Micro SD tray that extends the storage up to 256 GB. As usual, the two volume buttons on the left feel neat and provides very good feedback. The top area holds a SIM tray that supports two nano SIM cards (GSM + GSM). It supports 4G LTE network, Cat6 modem, and is VoLTE-enabled.
The most notable feature A9 Pro has is its hefty 5000 mAh battery designed to get you enough battery life that lasts longer than any other smartphone. Samsung says it supports fast charging but I doubt how fast it can charge a 5000 mAh battery.
On the software side, it is upgraded to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with TouchWiz UI skin. The Galaxy A9 Pro is priced at ₹32,490. It is available in three colors Black, White and Gold. The handset will go on sale on September 26.
Let us know what are your views on the Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro? How good is it?