The Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Vivo has now launched Vivo V5 smartphone in India featuring a mega-selfie 20 MP camera with LED flash. For the selfie freaks out there, it looks like this phone is basically targeted to those people who love to take selfies every minute. It is surprising to know that the main camera i.e. rear camera is 13 MP but the front has 20 MP camera.
Apart from its eye-catchy selfie camera, the phone also boasts a metallic-look-a-like design (though not made from metal but plastics) and some nice specifications like 4 GB RAM, 32 GB storage. Priced at ₹17,980, here’s our hands-on review of Vivo V5.
Vivo V5 Specifications
- Display: 5.5-inch IPS HD Display (1280 x 720 pixels resolution) covered with 2.5D curved Gorilla Glass
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, on the home button
- Software: Funtouch OS 2.6 based on Android 6.0
- CPU: Up to 1.5 GHz octa-core processor (Cortex-A53), MediaTek MT6750 SoC
- GPU: Mali-T860 MP2 (350 MHz)
- Memory: 4 GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Storage: 32 GB internal storage, MicroSD support up to 128 GB
- Main Camera: 13 MP PDAF, LED flash, 1080p video @60fps, 720p video @120fps
- Front Camera: 20 MP f/2.0 (Exmor IMX376), LED Flash, 1080p video @30fps
- Connectivity: Micro USB, USB OTG, 3.5 mm headphone jack, Wi-Fi 802.11 Bluetooth, A-GPS,
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity sensor, E-compass
- Cellular: 4G LTE, Hybrid Tray, Micro SIM + Nano SIM (GSM + GSM) or Micro SIM + MicroSD Slot
- SAR Value: 0.952 W/Kg @1g (Body), 0.697 W/Kg @1g (Head)
- Battery: 3000 mAh Li-Po (non-removable)
- Dimensions: 153.8 mm x 75.5 mm x 7.55 mm
- Weight: 154 grams
- Colors: Crown Gold, Grey
- Price: ₹17,980
- Warranty: 1 Year Warranty
The 5.5-inch Vivo V5 packs a midrange hardware including a 1.5 GHz octa-core processor from MediaTek MT6750. In addition, it has a 4 GB LPDDR3 RAM and 32 GB storage which can be expandable up to 128 GB using Micro SD. What gets me here is its 720p display, Vivo V5 has a 5.5-inch IPS HD display – a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels which sounds mediocre as most phones now come with 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution. Nevertheless, it may have been opted to increase the battery life. It sports a 3000 mAh non-removable battery.
Apart from the specifications, it has a matte finish back giving a premium look. Not just that, the back reflects with a sparkling glow. As it is made from plastic materials, you may not get that premium feel on it like other metallic unobody phones. It comes with 2.5D curved Gorilla Glass on the front.
The phone is slim (7.55 mm) and notably light in weight 154 grams. The edges on the back are curved which gives a comfortable hold.
Surprisingly, the camera on the front is 20 MP. Vivo V5 is the world’s first phone to feature a 20 MP front camera. Even the rear camera is 13 MP.
The front camera uses Sony’s Exmor sensor (IMX376) which turns out to be the best selfie camera on a smartphone. Its 20 MP camera can perfect selfie like no other. However, until I test it out, I am assuming it to be a great at taking selfies. Also, the front camera features a number of features like Face Beauty Mode 6.0 and Selfie Moonlight creating various effects.
Vivo V5 uses a touch home button like OnePlus 3. The fingerprint scanner is embedded on Home button itself. It can unlock the phone in 0.2 seconds. The touch navigation keys are backlit and that might be helpful when you use the phone in darker areas.
Moving to the back, the rear camera is of 13 MP f/2.0 with LED flash. I believe the front 20 MP camera is better in almost all aspects than the rear camera but this happens rarely.
The bottom has Micro USB which supports USB OTG like thumb drives, a 3.5 mm headphone jack, a microphone, and loudspeakers.
Vivo V5 packs custom Hi-Fi audio chip (AK4376) which delivers high-quality audio experience by giving a signal-to-noise ratio of up to 115 dB.
the right side holds a power button and volume keys. The buttons give a good feedback to my thumb. The left area holds Hybrid SIM tray. You can insert One Micro SIM and One Nano SIM or One Micro SIM and Micro SD card at a time. The phone supports 4G LTE network and VoLTE. The Micro SD card can be used up to 128 GB.
On the software end, V5 has its custom OS Funtouch OS 2.6 based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Vivo V5 touts a multi-window feature known as Smart Split 2.0 which works similar to multi-window. You can run two apps side by side. Moreover, the OS has an Eye Protection Mode that filters the Blue light.
The Vivo V5 is priced at ₹17,980 and available in two colors – Crown Gold and Grey.
Do share your thoughts or views about this smartphone in the comments.