Cat S61 rugged smartphone announced with FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera, Snapdragon 630 SoC and Android Oreo
Bullitt Group, who is the global licensee for Cat (Caterpillar Inc.) brand of smartphones and other peripherals, launched the Cat S60 smartphone two years ago. The Cat S60 was the world’s first smartphone that came with a thermal imaging camera. And now, two years later, Cat has announced the Cat S61 smartphone that comes with some improvements over its predecessor.
The Cat S61, like its predecessor, is a rugged smartphone that’s meant for people who work in industries with extreme environment that includes a lot of wear and tear of instruments. Hence, this smartphone comes with MIL Spec 810G military certification that makes it resistant to such conditions.
Moreover, the Cat S61 also comes with IP certification that makes it dust and water resistant. In fact, the Cat S61 can withstand water at a depth of up to 3 meters for one hour. Besides, the phone is durable enough to survive repeated drops on concrete from a height of 1.8 meters.
That said, one of the biggest highlights of the Cat S61 is its FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera. With this camera, its users can see through equipments and some walls to detect faults easily. Moreover, it also supports live streaming which means the image you are seeing can be streamed to your colleagues in real-time for assistance.
Well, this FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera now also comes with improved image resolution (from VGA to HD), and, temperature measurement range that’s now expanded up to 400-degree Celsius. Apart from that, the Cat S61 also comes with built-in laser that helps measure distances (up to 10 meters), and, indoor air quality sensor that helps users know whether the environment they are working in is healthy enough or not.
“We know that 60% of Cat S60 customers use the integrated thermal camera at least once per week and the temperature and resolution improvements found in the new Cat S61 will open up thermal imaging to many more users and use cases. Packing in even more genuinely useful tools of the trade means there’s simply no other smartphone out there that can do everything the S61 can. We are incredibly proud of it.” said Peter Stephens, CEO, Bullitt Group.
Cat S61 Specifications
- CPU: 2.2 GHz Snapdragon 630 octa-core processor
- RAM: 4 GB
- GPU: Adreno 508
- Operating System: Android Oreo (with promised upgrade to Android P)
- Display: 5.2-inch Full-HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) display with Gorilla Glass 5 protection (optimized for outdoor usage and can be controlled with gloves on or wet fingers)
- Rear Camera: 16 MP with LED flash, 4K video recording
- Front Camera: 8 MP
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: Expandable via microSD card
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, VoWiFi, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi, NFC
- Other: FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera, Laser-assisted area and distance measurement up to 10 meters, temperature measurement in the range of -20°C to 400°C, VOC indoor air quality meter and humidity sensor, IP68 dust and water resistance, MIL Spec 810G military certification
- Battery: 4500 mAh with Quick Charge 4.0
Cat S61 Price and Availability
- Price: €899 (around ₹71,885) in Europe, £799 (around ₹72,194) in UK
- Availability: To be available in Q2 of 2018 through www.catphones.com and selected retailers and operators globally
The Cat S61 will be unveiled next week at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2018 in Barcelona, Spain.