Precautionary guidelines issued by DoT on mobile phone radiation
With the introduction of new and stricter radiation norms for the mobile operators to abide by, the Department of Telecommunication has also introduced precautionary guidelines for mobile users in India.
The guidelines advise mobile users in India to hold the cell phone away from the body, using a wired or Bluetooth headset to converse on the mobile, limit the length of the calls, to use a wired landline phone to the maximum extent possible and much more.
Precautionary guidelines issued by DoT for mobile users:
- Keep distance – Hold the cell phone away from the body to the extent possible.
- Use a headset (wired or Bluetooth) to keep the handset away from your head.
- Do not press the phone handset against your head. Radio Frequency (RF) energy is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source-being very close increases energy absorption much more.
- Limit the length of mobile calls.
- Use text as compared to voice wherever possible.
- Put the cell phone on speaker mode.
- If the radio signal is weak, a mobile phone will increase its transmission power. Find a strong signal and avoid movement – Use your phone where reception is good.
- Metal & water are good conductors of radio waves so avoid using a mobile phone while wearing metal-framed glasses or having wet hair.
- Let the call connect before putting the handset on your ear or start speaking and listening – A mobile phone first makes the communication at higher power and then reduces power to an adequate level. More power is radiated during the call connecting time.
- If you have a choice, use a landline (wired) phone, not a mobile phone.
- When your phone is ON, don’t carry it in the chest / breast or pants pocket. When a mobile phone is ON, it automatically transmits at high power every one or two minutes to check (poll) the network.
- Reduce mobile phone use by children as a younger person will likely have a longer lifetime exposure to radiation from cell phones.
- People having active medical implants should preferably keep the cell phone at least 15 cm away from the implant.
With these precautions DoT as also clarified a few myths that exist amongst the mobile users and they are as below along with the facts.