South Korean tech giant Samsung announced its latest and greatest flagships of 2018 – the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ – at a pre-MWC event in Spain last month. And just over a week later, Samsung launched both these smartphones in India. It’s the first time that Samsung flagships have been brought to India this quick. Both the Galaxy S9 and S9+ were already available for pre-orders in the country, and now, Samsung has begun the sale of both these smartphones across India.
The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ both have a design that’s similar to last year’s Galaxy S8 and S8+. However, this time, the bezels on these flagships have been further trimmed down, and, the fingerprint scanner that was placed so awkwardly at the back has been positioned below the camera module which now makes it easily reachable to the users.
That said, the Indian variants of both the Galaxy S9 and S9+ are powered by Samsung’s Exynos 9810 SoC, however, the amount of RAM differs on both these smartphones. The Galaxy S9 comes with 4 GB of RAM, whereas, the S9+ comes with 6 GB of RAM.
Apart from the differences in the amount of RAM, both these smartphones also differ in terms of screen size, battery size and camera.
The Galaxy S9 features a 5.8-inch display whereas the S9+ sports a larger 6.2-inch display. Same goes for battery capacity. The S9 packs a 3000 mAh battery whereas the S9+ ships with a larger 3500 mAh battery.
That said, while the Galaxy S9 comes with a single 12 MP Super Speed Dual Pixel Camera at the back, the S9+ boasts dual camera setup at the back which is a combination of two 12 MP cameras. Apart from these differences, everything else remains the same on both the S9 and S9+.
Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Specifications
- CPU: Exynos 9810 SoC
- RAM: 4 GB (6 GB on S9+) LPDDR4X
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Display: 5.8-inch Quad-HD+ (2960 x 1440 pixels) Curved Super AMOLED Infinity Display (6.2-inch on S9+)
- Rear Camera: 12 MP Super Speed Dual Pixel camera with variable aperture (f/1.5-f/2.4), Optical Image Stabilization, Super Slow-Mo, AR Emoji and LED flash (12 MP + 12 MP on S9+)
- Front Camera: 8 MP with f/1.7 aperture
- Internal Storage: 64/256 GB
- External Storage: Expandable up to 400 GB via microSD card
- SIM: Dual Hybrid SIM
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, NFC, 3.5 mm headphone jack, USB Type-C
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, Iris Recognition, Intelligent Scan, Dolby Atmos, AKG-tuned Stereo Speakers, IP68 Dust and Water Resistance, Bixby, Real-time Translation Heart Rate Monitoring, Knox 3.1
- Colors: Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Lilac Purple
- Battery: 3000 mAh (3500 mAh on S9+) with Fast Wired Charging compatible with Quick Charge 2.0, also supports Wireless Charging
Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Price in India and Availability
- Price of 64 GB storage variant: ₹57,900 (S9), ₹64,900 (S9+)
- Price of 256 GB storage variant: ₹65,900 (S9), ₹72,900 (S9+)
- Availability: Available on Flipkart, Samsung India eStore as well as through offline stores across the country. The 256 GB variant is only available at Reliance Digital Stores, Samsung Exclusive Stores and Samsung India eStore.
Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Offers
- Cashback of ₹6000 when purchased from select retail stores by scanning the Paytm Mall QR Code
- Cashback of ₹6000 when purchased using No-Cost EMI option on HDFC Bank Credit and Debit Cards
- Airtel users get 80 GB of data, unlimited calling, and one year of Amazon Prime membership worth ₹999 with Infinity 499 plan. And, with Infinity 799, users get 120 GB of data, unlimited calling, one year of Amazon Prime membership, and, one free child connection.
- Reliance Jio users get unlimited voice calls, SMS and 1 Terabyte of 4G data worth ₹15,000 for ₹4999 with complimentary Jio Prime Membership.
- Existing or new Vodafone customers get free subscription to Netflix for a year on Vodafone Red plans starting at ₹999 till April 30. Moreover, prepaid users who do a recharge of ₹199 get unlimited voice and 1.4 GB data per day along with additional 10 GB of free data every month for next 10 recharges.
So are you buying the Galaxy S9 or the Galaxy S9+?