Japanese tech giant Sony launched its Xperia XZ3 flagship smartphone last year in August with Snapdragon 845 SoC and 6-inch HDR OLED display. Well, the company was expected to announce its successor – the XZ4 – at today’s MWC 2019 event. However, instead of announcing the XZ4, Sony has announced the Sony Xperia 1.
The Sony Xperia 1 is actually the Xperia XZ4 that we heard of last year. At least in terms of design. With the Xperia 1, Sony has brought us the world’s first smartphone having a 21:9 display. It measures 6.5-inch diagonally and makes the phone look quite tall as compared to smartphones with 19:9 and 19.5:9 displays.
This is an OLED display we are looking at that has 4K resolution (3840 x 1644 pixels). It is backed by X1 for mobile image processing engine and has a feature called Creator Mode that’s powered by CineAlta.
The Xperia 1 boasts a glass-metal sandwich construction meaning the front and back are covered with Gorilla Glass 6 with the frame made out of metal.
Under the hood, the Xperia 1 comes with Snapdragon 855 SoC running the show which is coupled with 6 GB RAM. The smartphone runs Android Pie and has 128 GB of storage onboard.
Having said that, the Xperia 1 is also the first Sony smartphone to come with triple rear cameras. The setup is a combination of three 12 MP snappers. The smartphone also comes with BIONZ X for mobile which is inherited from Sony’s α division. This enables Eye AF (auto focus) on the phone.
Furthermore, the Xperia 1 has a feature called Cinema Pro that lets you record videos in 4K HDR resolution at 24 FPS in 21:9 aspect ratio.
Other features on the Sony Xperia 1 include Dolby Atmos, IP65/68 dust and water resistance, and a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. The smartphone ships with a 3300 mAh battery which we believe is small for the size and resolution of the display.
Sony Xperia 1 Specifications
- CPU: Snapdragon 855 octa-core processor
- RAM: 6 GB
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie
- Display: 6.5-inch 4K (3840 x 1644 pixels) HDR CinemaWide OLED display with 21:9 aspect ratio, Creator Mode, X1 for mobile image processing engine, and Gorilla Glass 6
- Rear Camera: 12 MP (26 mm, Exmor RS, f/1.6, 1.4 μm, 78-degree FOV, OIS) + 12 MP (16 mm, super wide-angle lens, f/2.4, 1.0 μm, 135-degree FOV) + 12 MP (52 mm, telephoto lens, f/2.4, 1.0 μm, 45-degree FOV, OIS) with Cinema Pro, 4K HDR video recording, 960 FPS slow-motion video recording at 720/1080p, and LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP with f/2.0 aperture, 1.12 μm, HDR, and Display Flash
- Internal Storage: 128 GB
- External Storage: Expandable up to 512 GB via microSD card
- SIM: Dual (depending on market)
- Connectivity: 4G, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, NFC, USB Type-C 3.1
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, IP65/68 dust and water resistance, Dolby Atmos, Stereo Speaker
- Colors: Black, Purple, Grey, White
- Battery: 3300 mAh
Sony Xperia 1 Price and Availability
- Price: To be announced
- Availability: To be available in late spring