Alongside the Redmi Note 5, Xiaomi unveiled the Redmi Note 5 Pro which is the pro version of its Redmi Note series featuring a Dual-camera, FullView 18:9 display, and Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 octa-core SoC. Unlike the Redmi Note 5, it’s a more powerful variant with a better CPU, better camera, and features like Face Unlock and Portrait selfies.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Specifications
- Display: 5.99-inch IPS Display, Full-HD+ resolution (2160 x 1080 pixels), 2.5D Curved Gorilla Glass, 18:9 aspect ratio
- Software: MIUI 9 based on Android 7.1.2 Nougat
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, on the back
- CPU: Up to 1.8 GHz octa-core Kryo 260 processor, Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 SoC
- DSP Processor: Qualcomm Hexagon 680 DSP
- GPU: Adreno 509
- Memory: 4 GB RAM or 6 GB RAM, LPDDR4X
- Storage: 64 GB internal storage, expandable via microSD card (SIM2)
- Main Camera: Dual Cameras (12 MP + 5 MP)
12 MP (Sony IMX486 with f/2.2 aperture, 1.25 μm sensor)
5 MP (f/2.0 aperture, 1.12 μm sensor) with EIS, Portrait Mode, Beautify 4.0 and LED flash
- Selfie Camera: 20 MP Sony IMX376 with Portrait Mode, Beautify 4.0 and LED Selfie-light, Face Unlock
- Cellular: 4G LTE network, 2x nano SIM (GSM), microSD on SIM2
- Connectivity: Micro USB port, 3.5 mm audio jack, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, IR Blaster
- Colors: Black, Gold, Rose Gold, Lake Blue
- Battery: 4,000 mAh with 5V/2A Charging
- Price: ₹13,999 (4 GB RAM), ₹16,999 (6 GB RAM)
- Availability: Exclusively on Flipkart, Mi.com and Mi Home retail stores. First flash sale on February 22. Available on selected offline stores too.
- Launch Offers: ₹2,200 cashback, 100% additional 4G data from Jio
The Redmi Note 5 Pro is launched globally in India and it’s the world’s first smartphone to equip a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 SoC and first in the Redmi series to offer as much as 6 GB LPDDR4X RAM, dual cameras, and FullView 18:9 screen.
Just like the Redmi Note 5, the Redmi Note 5 Pro also boasts bezel-less design, the display is a 5.99-inch IPS with 18:9 aspect ratio, 2.5D curved glass, and Full HD+ resolution (2160 x 1080 pixels). It is bulky and the big screen makes the phone look large, not all are comfortable with the 6-inch size.
The design uses a metallic body with tapered edges, it looks similar to the last year’s Redmi Note 4 but is more refined. A few things changed such as the rear camera shifted to the left vertically similar to Apple iPhone X, the bottom consists of 3.5 mm headphones port, loudspeakers, microphone, and micro USB. It’s time, Xiaomi should move to the USB type-C port, at least for the Pro variant.
The bezels are smaller, but nowhere near the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2, however, turns out to be smaller than its previous Redmi Note series. The bottom bezel doesn’t carry capacitive touch keys instead utilizes the on-screen navigation buttons.
About the internals of the phone, as mentioned earlier, it equips a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 in which eight Kryo 260 performance cores clocked 1.8 GHz for blazing fast performance. Moreover, it uses a high-performance LPDDR4X RAM with two separate variants, 4 GB RAM and 6 GB RAM coupled with 64 GB internal storage and powered by a 4,000 mAh battery.
Furthermore, the dual camera (12 MP + 5 MP) on the back emphasizes the Portrait mode and comes with dual-tone LED flash. That’s not it, the front camera is a whopping 20 MP highlighting the Portrait mode as well which translates to selfies with bokeh effects.
In addition to that, the front 20 MP camera is backed up with LED selfie light for low light selfies. Xiaomi has introduced Beautify 4.0 that relies on deep learning to get even better photos.
Other features include Face Unlock that unlocks the phone via facial recognition techniques. Do note that, the feature won’t be out-of-the-box, but will be carried out by an OTA update coming next month. As for its software, we see no change in the OS, it still comes with Android 7.1.2 Nougat with MIUI 9 on top.
The Redmi Note 5 Pro will be available in India starting from 22nd February on Flipkart, Mi.com, and Mi Home stores, and then, in offline stores later. It is priced competitively at ₹13,999 for 4 GB variant and ₹16,999 for 6 GB variant. Combined with the launch offers, the Redmi Note 5 Pro will entail Rs2,200 cashback and 100% Jio 4G data.
It’s great to see that Xiaomi has entered the smartphone selfie market which will compete with the Vivo and OPPO as well as Honor smartphones. The dual-camera ensures that the camera package is better than before and Snapdragon 636 with Kryo 260 cores will come out at least better than most smartphones in this range. What do you think?