Yahoo! launches Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger Apps for Android
“Yahoo! keeps more than 600 million consumers around the world connected to the people and things that matter to them most – wherever and whenever they want,” said David Ko, senior vice president, Americas, Audience, Mobile, and Local for Yahoo!. “With the availability of our world-class Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger apps for Android and by harnessing the latest in HTML5, we’re making it easier than ever for consumers to access fast, reliable, and feature-rich Yahoo! experiences across some of the fastest growing platforms in the market.”
The Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger Android apps are available globally as free downloads available in the Android Market, supporting OS 2.0 or newer.
With the new Yahoo! Mail App for Android, users can:
- Receive push notification of new email messages
- Send emails to contacts from the Yahoo! Address Book as well as to contacts in the native phone address book
- Search email messages by sender, recipient, subject and keywords
- Upload photos as attachments directly from the phone’s camera or the photo gallery
- View and download attachments
- Insert emoticons and rich text formatting into emails
- Effectively manage and organize their Yahoo! Mail messages, folders, and spam
- Easily toggle between the Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Messenger apps
With the new Yahoo! Messenger App for Android, users can:
- Easily message friends, check friends’ status updates and availability and update their personal status and availability
- Send instant messages to friends via SMS text message1
- Multitask and stay connected with the app working in the background; with push notifications, consumers can easily catch new messages and friend requests
- Get full use of emoticons and rich text formatting
- Send photos to friends directly from the phone’s camera or the photo gallery
Yahoo! Search Widget for Android provides users with one-click access to Yahoo! Search. After the Widget is installed, a Yahoo! Search box is accessible on the home screen. With voice search for easier input, Search Assist for quick suggestions and recommendations, and auto-locate technology to deliver locally relevant results.
The Yahoo! Search Widget is currently available in the U.S. only for free. It is available for download in the Android Market and supports OS 2.0 or newer.