ASUS Zenfone 3 is undoubtedly one of the best-looking smartphones. The most comprehensive thing we found in the Zenfone 3 is its camera, thanks to its rich camera features. The Zenfone 3 boasts a 16 MP Sony IMX298 rear camera with optical image stabilization support. We got some camera samples to share with you.
ASUS Zenfone 3 Camera Specifications (ZE520KL)
- Camera: 16 MP, f/2.0, TriTech laser autofocus (0.03s)
- Sensor: Sony Exmor IMX298
- Lens Protection: Sapphire Glass
- Optical Image Stabilization (OIS): Yes, 4-axis
- Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS): Yes
- Rear Flash: Dual LED Flash
- Features: Geo-tagging, Tap to Focus, Pro HDR, Manual, Beautification, Panorama, Slow Motion, Time Lapse, Burst Shot, Super Resolution, Low Light, Night, Depth of Field, GIF Animation, QR Code, Time Rewind, All Smiles, Smart Remove, Children, Selfie, Effect, Miniature
- Video Recording: Up to 4K video recording, 2160p@30 FPS, Slow Motion 720p@120 FPS, HDR Support
- Front Camera: 8 MP, f/2.0, wide angle lens
- Video Recording: Up to 1080p @30fps
- Front Flash: No
The 16 MP snapper on the Zenfone 3 is a deal breaker, equipped with IM298 sensor found in the well-known flagships like OnePlus 3 and Xiaomi Mi 5. The camera module is upgraded extensively, the old Zenfone 2 came with 13 MP while this one has a 16 MP camera (IMX298).
The rear 16 MP f/2.0 camera uses a Sony Exmor IMX298 sensor, 6P Largan Lens, protected with sapphire glass. The camera further supports 4-axis optical image stabilization, electronic image stabilization. The camera is aided with a dual-tone LED flash. The front has an 8 MP f/2.0 camera.
The camera features a number of modes such as HDR, Panorama, Manual, Beautification, Super Resolution, Low Light, Night, Depth of Field, GIF Animation, QR Code, Time Rewind, All Smiles, Smart Remove, Slow Motion, Time Lapse, and much more. The camera software uses Pixel Master 3.0 technology giving a complete experience of a digital camera. Also, the legendary Tritech laser focus is the key for capturing sharp and clear images.
ASUS Zenfone 3 Camera Samples
If I would want to pick up Zenfone 3, it would be because of its camera performance. The picture quality is really good. The results are very sharp and detailed, no grainy images found when zoomed. The daylight performance of the camera is excellent and I think it’s as good as OnePlus 3 camera since they both use the same camera sensor.
At some point, the ASUS Zenfone 3 camera captured beautiful HDR images but when using the HDR mode in certain lighting conditions, the image looks so bright that it loses out small details. The camera sometimes shoots overexposed HDR images in a wild sunny day. Manual mode comes handy if you are a pro. Low light performance is fairly strong, Zenfone 3 has two camera modes that aids you while shooting low light images.
The camera snaps the images very fast, the shutter response is noticeably fast. The rear camera records 4K videos @ 30fps. A 4K video ensures a better video quality as compared to 1080p videos.
The front 8 MP camera also captures some great shots in daylight. Images captured under low lights tend to blur slightly otherwise is good for selfie needs. Due to its wide angle lens, it can cover a large group of people. The front camera records 1080p videos.
We will share more camera samples as soon as we are done with our review.