Taiwan-based HTC is expected to launch a flagship smartphone – called HTC U12 – next month. This smartphone is also known as HTC Imagine, which is its codename. But, according to a latest report, it turns out that this HTC U12 is actually going to be called HTC U12+, and, its image has also surfaced online which gives us our best look yet at the smartphone.
This image (pictured above) has been leaked by VentureBeat‘s Evan Blass. Yes, that ever so reliable leakster that everyone loves (except smartphone companies, maybe). According to Blass, the HTC Imagine will be launched as HTC U12+, and, the U12, a non-plus variant of this smartphone, may not exist.
With the U12+, HTC wants to compete with the likes of Samsung’s Galaxies, Huawei’s Mates and some other flagship smartphones in the market that boast “modern” design. In fact, HTC has even added a ‘+’ in the name in order to put the U12+ in competition with Samsung’s recently announced flagship – the Galaxy S9+.
That said, as you can see from the image above, the HTC U12+ flaunts a glass back while sporting a dual camera setup and a fingerprint scanner below it. The front of the phone also boasts a dual camera setup while flaunting a small bezels. However, while the dual camera setup at the back is a combination of 16 MP + 12 MP cameras, the dual camera setup on the front consists of two 8 MP snappers.
Rest of the specifications shared by Blass are inline with the ones shared earlier by LlabTooFeR – a ROM developer having a great track record of leaking details about anything HTC.
HTC U12+ Specifications [Expected]
- CPU: Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor
- RAM: Up to 6 GB
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Operating System: Sense 10 based on Android 8.0 Oreo (with full Treble support and A/B Seamless updates)
- Display: 6-inch WQHD+ (2880 x 1440 pixels) LCD display with 18:9 aspect ratio
- Rear Camera: 16 MP + 12 MP with LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP + 8 MP
- Internal Storage: 64/128 GB
- External Storage: Expandable via microSD card
- SIM: Single/Dual SIM (depending on market)
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi, NFC, USB Type-C
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, IP68 dust and water resistance, HTC Face Unlock, Edge Sense 2.0
- Battery: 3420 mAh
That said, HTC was earlier expected to launch this phone in late April, but the launch has now been postponed to early May. There’s no word from HTC yet regarding the U12+, but you can expect to hear more about it in the coming weeks as inch closer to its expected launch.