HUAWEI P20 Pro announced, featuring triple cameras with AI capabilities, Super Slow-motion video recording, and Kirin 970 CPU
HUAWEI P20 sets a new benchmark in the top-end smartphone category featuring three cameras with AI capabilities.
Ever thought that smartphones will emerge with three cameras when dual cameras are just booming in the industry? Because two is not enough? Meet the HUAWEI P20 Pro with triple cameras in action. The world’s first triple camera smartphone is here, the HUAWEI P20 Pro has not two, but three cameras on board featuring AI capabilities and super slow-motion video recording to compete with the Samsung Galaxy S9, and Apple iPhone X.
Being a flagship, the P20 Pro boasts a gorgeous glass body with a FullScreen design and a notch at the top. Yes, the notch is everywhere, you can’t deny. Fortunately, the notch looks smaller than the iPhone X giving more space to the screen. The front offers an OLED display sized at 6.1-inch accompanied by a Full HD+ resolution (2240 x 1080 pixels).
In addition to the dual cameras, there’s one separate camera that totals to three (40 MP + 20 MP + 8 MP) at the rear side while the front is backed up with a 24 MP selfie camera. The 40 MP camera is RGB whereas the other 20 MP is a Monochrome and the latter 8 MP camera uses a Telephoto lens. The camera lenses are made by Leica as seen on the HUAWEI P9 and HUAWEI P10 cameras.
Digging more into the cameras and you will find the AI features optimized in the new EMUI software and a 4D autofocus (laser focus, deep focus, phase focus, contrast focus) for focus on the fly. Then there’s something called AI Image Stabilization that goes beyond OIS/EIS to enable better long exposure shots.
When you look at the hardware, it reminds of the Honor View10 and HUAWEI Mate 10 Pro. The internals offers a Kirin 970 octa-core chip plus one additional micro core i7 paired with a massive 6 GB RAM and 128 GB storage. All of it is powered by a 4,000 mAh battery
On the software front, it runs on the latest Android 8.1 patched with EMUI 8.1 interface on top. The P20 Pro, however, supports the Google ARCore bringing in the AR capabilities to the smartphone, thanks to the new EMUI.
HUAWEI P20 Pro will be made available on 6th April for global markets. The pricing is kept 899 Euros which is equivalent to $1,115 or Rs 72,350.
HUAWEI also announced the highly premium and exotic Porsche Design HUAWEI Mate RS that asks a whopping $2,000+ for its luxury while being very similar to the P20 Pro.
HUAWEI P20 Pro Specifications
- Display: 6.1-inch OLED display, Full HD+ resolution (2240 x 1080 pixels | 408 ppi), 2.5D curved glass
- Software: EMUI 8.1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo, AI-enabled
- CPU: Up to 2.36 GHz octa-core Cortex-A73 + Cortex-A53 processor, 1x micro core i7, Kirin 970 SoC, 10nm TSMC, 64-bit, AI backed
- GPU: ARM Mali-G72 MP12
- Memory: 6 GB RAM, LPDDR4
- Storage: 128 GB UFS internal storage, no microSD support
- Main Camera: Triple cameras (40 MP + 20 MP + 8 MP), Leica lens, AI Image Stabilization
40 MP (RGB, f/1.8 aperture) + 20 MP (Monochrome, f/1.6 aperture) + 8 MP (Telephoto, f/2.4 aperture), 4D predictive focus (laser focus, deep focus, phase focus, contrast focus), 3D Portrait Lightning, 960 fps super slow-motion, dual-tone LED
- Selfie Camera: 24 MP, f/2.0 aperture, supports fixed focal length
- Connectivity: USB Type-C, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS (A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS), 3.5 mm jack (via adapter)
- Sensors: Gravity sensor, Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Front fingerprint sensor, Hall-sensor, Gyroscope, Compass, Colour Temperature sensor
- Cellular: 4G LTE network, Single OR Dual nano SIM, VoLTE-enabled
- Colors: Black, Twilight, Pink Gold, Midnight Blue
- Battery: 4,000 mAh
- Dimensions: 155 mm x 73.9 mm x 7.8 mm
- Weight: 180 grams
HUAWEI P20 Pro Price & Availability
- Price: 899 Euros (~$1,115 OR ~Rs72,350)
- Availability: 6th April 2018