LG G8 ThinQ goes official with Snapdragon 855 SoC, triple rear cameras, and Hand ID
Last year in May, LG announced its flagship G7 ThinQ smartphone with Snapdragon 845 SoC and dual rear cameras. The G7 ThinQ is also the first smartphone to come with a display notch. Well now, at its MWC 2019 event in Barcelona, Spain, LG has announced successor to the G7 ThinQ – dubbed LG G8 ThinQ.
Being a flagship smartphone, the LG G8 ThinQ is powered by Qualcomm’s latest and greatest Snapdragon 855 SoC which is paired with 6 GB RAM. The smartphone boots up to Android Pie and has 128 GB of internal storage.
On the front, the G8 ThinQ has a 6.1-inch OLED FullVision display that has an aspect ratio of 19.5:9 and a resolution of 3120 x 1440 pixels. The display also has a notch up top. The smartphone also comes with a feature called Crystal Sound OLED which turns the phone’s display into a speaker, thus eliminating the need for a front speaker.
For photography, the LG G8 ThinQ sports a triple-camera setup on its back which consists of one 16 MP and two 12 MP snappers. On the front, the smartphone has an 8 MP camera which is accompanied by a ToF Z camera.
The Z camera serves many purposes here. It helps users take selfies with better bokeh, but it also helps secure the phone in a better way. The G8 ThinQ comes with a feature called Hand ID that uses a combination of Z camera, vein authentication, and infrared sensors to let users unlock the phone with their hand. This feature works by “recognizing the shape, thickness and other individual characteristics of the veins in the palms” of the phone owner’s hands. To unlock the phone with your hand, all you have to do is place it in front of the the front-facing camera.
The Z camera also makes face unlock more secure as it uses infrared rays and sees objects in 3D. Furthermore, it also powers the Air Motion feature on the G8 ThinQ that lets you perform multiple actions like answering/ending calls, taking screenshots, and adjusting volume without touching the phone.
The LG G8 ThinQ is offered in Carmine Red, New Aurora Black, and New Moroccan Blue colors and packs a 3500 mAh battery that fuels the entire package. And yes, there’s also a variant of the G8 ThinQ which comes with dual cameras at the back.
LG G8s ThinQ
LG has also announced the G8s ThinQ that features a 6.2-inch 18.7:9 Full-HD+ OLED FullVision display. It is powered by Snapdragon 855 SoC which is coupled with 6 GB RAM. The smartphone ships with a 3550 mAh battery and is offered in 64 and 128 GB storage options.
The photography department on the G8s ThinQ is handled by triple cameras (13 MP wide-angle + 12 MP + 12 MP telephoto) at the back and dual cameras (8 MP + ToF Z) on the front. All other features on the G8s ThinQ are the same as the one on G8 ThinQ.
LG G8 ThinQ Specifications
- CPU: Snapdragon 855 octa-core processor
- RAM: 6 GB
- GPU: Adreno 640
- Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie
- Display: 6.1-inch QHD+ (3120 x 1440 pixels) OLED FullVision display having 19.5:9 aspect ratio and 564 ppi pixel density
- Rear Camera: 12 MP (f/1.5, 1.4 μm, 78-degree FOV) + 16 MP (super wide-angle lens, f/1.9, 1.0 μm, 107-degree FOV) + 12 MP (telephoto lens, f/2.4, 1.0 μm. 45-degree FOV) with Video Portrait and LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP (f/1.7, 1.22 μm, 80-degree FOV) + ToF Z
- Internal Storage: 128 GB
- External Storage: Expandable up to 2 Terabytes via microSD card
- Connectivity: 4G, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, NFC, FM Radio, USB Type-C 3.1
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, Face Unlock, Hand ID, Air Motion, Crystal Sound OLED Stereo Speaker, IP68 dust and water resistance, 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC, DTS:X 3D Surround Sound, AI CAM, Stereo Speakers, Boombox Speaker, MIL-STD 810G certification
- Colors: Carmine Red, New Aurora Black, New Moroccan Blue
- Battery: 3500 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0
LG G8 ThinQ Price and Availability
- Price: To be announced
- Availability: To be announced