Sony Xperia XZ2 goes official with 5.7-inch FHD+ display, Snapdragon 845 SoC and 4K HDR Movie Recording
If you are a close follower of the smartphone industry, then you must be aware that majority of the smartphones that were launched since last year came with “bezel-less” design. These smartphones had tall screens with an aspect ratio of 18:9. However, Japanese tech giant Sony had been adamant of this design language and stuck with its boring design. But hey, all this finally changes now with the launch of Sony Xperia XZ2 smartphone.
The Sony Xperia XZ2 smartphone has been announced at the ongoing Mobile World Congress (MWC) tech trade show in Barcelona, Spain. The Xperia XZ2 comes with a design that’s better than its predecessor – the Xperia XZ1 – that was launched last year at IFA 2017. In fact, we would rather say that the Xperia XZ2’s design is better than all the smartphones that were launched by Sony since last year.
Well that’s because the Sony Xperia XZ2 comes with a 5.7-inch Full-HD+ HDR display that has an aspect ratio of 18:9 which helps reduce the bezels on the smartphone, giving it a more modern look that’s now at par, if not better, with the design of other latest smartphones.
That said, the Sony Xperia XZ2 flaunts a 3D glass surface which Sony says creates a “seamless form that’s effortlessly comfortable in your hand”. Well actually, unlike older Sony smartphones that came with a flat back, the Sony Xperia XZ2 has a back that’s slightly curved which should make it easier for the users to hold the phone.
Besides, the front and back of the Xperia XZ2 is also covered with Gorilla Glass 5 while also featuring metal frames that adds some durability to the phone.
Having said that, moving on to the innards, the Sony Xperia XZ2 is fueled by Qualcomm’s latest and greatest Snapdragon 845 SoC which is laced with 4 GB RAM. The phone boots up to Android 8.0 Oreo and is powered by a 3180 mAh battery that keeps the lights on.
For photography, the Sony Xperia XZ2 comes with a 19 MP Motion Eye camera at the back which also supports 4K HDR Movie Recording – the very first in a smartphone. Moreover, you can also record slow-motion videos in 1080p at 960 frames/second. But hey, this isn’t the first Sony smartphone to feature 960 FPS slow-mo recording.
That said, for selfies and video calls, you get a 5 MP camera on the front. And yes, the 3D Creator app that Sony introduced last year has now been updated to let you create 3D scans of your friend’s face using the rear camera, and your own face using the front camera.
Lastly, with the Sony Xperia XZ2, users can also up-convert the content they are watching to HDR (High Dynamic Range) for a better quality video playback experience. Moreover, the phone also makes use of Dynamic Vibration System that “analyses audio data and lets you feel the action in your hands, bringing your movies, games and videos to life”. Furthermore, the Xperia XZ2 also comes with stereo speakers and support for Hi-Res Audio and LDAC for better audio experience.
Sony Xperia XZ2 Specifications
- CPU: Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor
- RAM: 4 GB
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Display: 5.7-inch Full-HD+ (2160 x 1080 pixels) HDR TRILUMINOUS display with 18:9 aspect ratio, Gorilla Glass 5 and X-Reality for mobile
- Rear Camera: 19 MP Motion Eye Camera with 1/ 2.3” Exmor RS™ for mobile memory-stacked sensor, f/2.0 aperture, BIONZ mobile image-processing engine, Predictive Capture, Predictive Hybrid Auto-focus, SteadyShot, 4K HDR Movie Recording, 960 FPS Super Slow-Mo Recording in HD and Full-HD resolution, and, LED flash
- Front Camera: 5 MP 1/ 5” Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor with f/2.2 aperture and SteadyShot
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: Expandable up to 400 GB via microSDXC card
- SIM: Single/Dual SIM (depending on market)
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi, NFC, USB Type-C Gen 3.1
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, IP65/68 Dust and Water Resistance, Stereo Speakers, Hi-Res Audio, LDAC, aptX HD
- Colors: Liquid Black, Liquid Silver, Deep Green, Ash Pink
- Battery: 3180 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0 and Qi Wireless Charging
Sony Xperia XZ2 Price and Availability
- Price: To be announced later
- Availability: To be available from next month