It’s here. The most awaited flagship of 2017, the Samsung Galaxy S8, has finally been announced. The Galaxy S8 has been doing rounds on the Internet since January this year and it has been leaked to such an extent that making it official was only a formality on Samsung’s part. Having said that, Samsung has unveiled it today at events held in New York and London and has shared all the details of this Galaxy S7 successor.
Starting with the design, the Samsung Galaxy S8 looks exactly like what we have seen through past leaks. The Galaxy S8 flaunts a bezel-less design at its sides, and, the bezels that are present at the top and bottom are very small. The first thing you will notice after looking at the Galaxy S8 is that the good old physical home button, which was an identity of the Galaxy series smartphones, is gone. Samsung has done away with it to fit a larger screen while keeping the overall footprint of the device smaller.
Well, as the physical home button has been removed, the fingerprint scanner is now moved on to the back of the device and is placed very awkwardly right next to the primary camera. You can also see there’s no Samsung logo on the front now, however, the device does carry the Samsung moniker at its back.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 comes with a 5.8-inch display which has a Quad HD+ (2960 x 1440 pixels) resolution. Samsung calls it the Infinity Display. Also, the display is curved at the edges and rounded at corners. Above the display is the earpiece along with the secondary camera and the Iris Scanner which was found on the Galaxy Note7.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 also comes with Bixby which was announced last week. For the uninitiated, Bixby is Samsung’s AI powered voice assistant and the Galaxy S8 has a dedicated hardware button at the left below the volume rocker which can be used to summon Bixby. For now, Bixby will integrate with several Samsung native apps and features including Camera, Contacts, Gallery, Messages and Settings, however, Samsung plans to release an SDK soon so that third-party app developers can also make their apps Bixby ready.
Apart from that, the Samsung Galaxy S8 also comes with Samsung Connect, Samsung Health, Samsung Pay and Samsung Knox. Besides, the Samsung Galaxy S8 also works with Samsung DeX which lets users have a desktop like experience using their smartphone.
“The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ usher in a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening up new ways to experience the world. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are our testament to regaining your trust by redefining what’s possible in safety and marks a new milestone in Samsung’s smartphone legacy.” said DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics.
Samsung Galaxy S8 specifications:
- CPU: 2.3 GHz or 2.5 GHz octa-core processor based on 10 nm process (either Exynos 9 or Snapdragon 835, depending on the markets)
- RAM: 4 GB (some markets might get 6 GB RAM variant)
- Operating System: Android 7.0 Nougat
- Display: 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 x 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570 ppi pixel density
- Rear Camera: 12 MP Dual Pixel with f/1.7 aperture, OIS and LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP with f/1.7 aperture
- Internal Storage: 64 GB UFS 2.1 (some markets might get 128 GB storage variant)
- External Storage: Expandable up to 256 GB via microSD card
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Other: USB Type-C, IP68 Dust and Water Resistance, NFC, MST, Fingerprint Scanner, Heart Rate Monitor, Iris Scanner, Face Recognition, Wireless Charging, Always-On Display and AKG tuned earphones
- Colors: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue and Maple Gold
- Battery: 3000 mAh with Fast Charging on Wired and Wireless medium
Samsung Galaxy S8 Price and Availability:
- Price: $750
- Availability: Will be available from April 21.
Alongside the Galaxy S8, Samsung also unveiled the Galaxy S8+ which is larger than the S8 and comes with 6.2-inch display and 3500 mAh battery while retaining all the other specs that are found on the Galaxy S8.