Samsung Galaxy S8+ with 6.2-inch QHD+ AMOLED display and Bixby Assistant Announced
Samsung unveils the new Galaxy S8+ along with the Galaxy S8 at two simultaneous global events held in London and New York under the title ‘Samsung Unpacked’. This eagerly awaited smartphone highlights its all-new look, a stunning 6.2-inch QHD+ AMOLED display, and a language assistant known to be Bixby (a Google Assistant rival). Samsung wants to overcome the failure of Galaxy Note 7 which was released last year with these two Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+ smartphones.
Beyond QHD display (2960 x 1440 Pixels Resolution)
Samsung’s has benchmarked its two newest flagships to exceed the Quad HD displays, now S8+ having a Quad HD+ AMOLED display. The Samsung Galaxy S8+ boasts a large 6.2-inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED display with 2960 x 1440 pixels resolution (529 ppi) which is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The display utilizes its Always On display feature that gives notifications at a glance. No wonder Samsung has increased the screen-to-body ratio to offer a bezel-less edge display which looks astounding. Samsung has given a new shape to its Galaxy S8+ design.
Not Just Specs But Ultimate Specs
When we talk about the specs, the Galaxy S8+ has the highest offerings as of now. It offers the same specifications that S8 offer, but with a larger 6.2-inch display and a larger 3,500 mAh battery capacity. So, the plus variant has more beefy specs than the Galaxy S8. There will be two octa-core CPU variants – Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC OR Samsung Exynos 8895 SoC. Both the chips are octa-core and the best in class available in the market. Furthermore, it features a 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM and a fast 64 GB UFS 2.1 internal storage which can be expanded later using a MicroSD card up to 256 GB. Not limiting to 4 GB RAM, there will be a 6 GB RAM variant too available for different markets.
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Holds The Best Camera On Board
Samsung Galaxy lineup is known for its best camera. We reviewed the last year’s flagship Samsung Galaxy S7 and we were impressed by its outstanding camera performance. The Samsung Galaxy S8+ is equipped with a 12 MP f/1.7 dual pixel camera on the rear side with OIS support and an advanced 8 MP f/1.7 camera with smart autofocus. With the camera being most promising from the past Galaxy S devices, the S8+ camera could capture best low-light images as far as we believe.
Home Button Eliminated
Samsung has removed the good old physical key and used the onscreen navigation buttons. Hence, the fingerprint scanner moves at the back alongside the camera. There’s an Iris scanner too that will unlock the phone just by looking at it. This is the first Samsung Galaxy S series smartphone that comes with USB 3.1 Type-C port. It also has the newer Bluetooth 5.0 LE that transfers files up to 2 Mbps, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5 GHz), NFC, GPS, and LTE Cat. 16 modem as connectivity features.
The Samsung Galaxy S8+ runs on Android 7.0 Nougat with a personal assistant Bixby that certainly could compete Google Assistant. Like the Samsung Galaxy S8, the Galaxy S8+ also comes with the Samsung apps. The apps include Samsung Connect, Samsung Health, Samsung Pay and Samsung Knox. In addition, the Galaxy S8+ works with the Samsung DeX. Samsung DeX is a device that converts your smartphone into a full-fledged desktop computer giving you a complete desktop like experience. A similar trait from Microsoft Display Dock released a year ago.
“The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ usher in a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening up new ways to experience the world,” DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics, said. “The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are our testament to regaining your trust by redefining what’s possible in safety and marks a new milestone in Samsung’s smartphone legacy.”
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Specifications
- Display: 6.2-inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED display (2960 x 1440 pixels resolution | 529 ppi), Always On Display
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, at the back (next to the rear camera)
- Protection: IP68 Ratings (dust and water resistant), Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Software: Android 7.0 Nougat with TouchWiz UI on top
- CPU: 2.3 GHz OR 2.5 GHz octa-core processor, 10 nm tech, (either Samsung Exynos 8895 series or Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, market dependent)
- Memory: 4 GB OR 6 GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Storage: 64 GB UFS 2.1 internal storage, (some markets might get 128 GB storage variant), MicroSD up to 256 GB
- Main Camera: 12 MP Dual Pixel, f/1.7 aperture, OIS, LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP, f/1.7 aperture
- Connectivity: USB 3.1 Type-C, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5 GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, GPS
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- Cellular: 4G LTE, single nano SIM (market dependent), VoLTE-enabled
- Battery: 3,500 mAh (non-removable)
- Charging: Fast Charging on wired and wireless, Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
- Dimensions: 159.5 mm x 73.4 mm x 8.1 mm
- Weight: 173 grams
- Colors: Midnight Black, Orchid Grey, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, Maple Gold
- Price: US $850
Samsung Galaxy S8+ Price & Availability
- Price: US $850 (~₹55,000)
- Availability: Sale starts from 21st April 2017.