Samsung Galaxy S9 with Exynos 9810 SoC, 5.8-inch Infinity Display and Android 8.0 Oreo launched in India
Last year in April, Samsung launched its 2017 flagship smartphone – the Galaxy S8 – in India with a price tag of ₹57,990. Now today, the company has launched the Samsung Galaxy S9 in India which is a successor to the Galaxy S8. The Samsung Galaxy S9 was announced last Sunday at a pre-MWC event in Barcelona, Spain.
The Samsung Galaxy S9 has a design that’s similar to last year’s Galaxy S8. The front and back of the S9 look exactly the same as that of the S8, however, the top and bottom bezels on the S9 seem to be trimmed down a bit.
Moreover, while last year’s Galaxy S8 came with a fingerprint scanner that was awkwardly located to the right side of the rear camera, the fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S9 is placed below the rear camera which makes it easily reachable for the users.
That said, the front and back of the phone is covered with glass with the side frames made out of metal. The phone features a 5.8-inch Super AMOLED Curved Infinity Display that has a resolution of 2960 x 1440 pixels and an aspect ratio of 18.5:9. This screen is kept on by a 3000 mAh battery which supports Wireless Charging as well.
Well, speaking about the innards, the Samsung Galaxy S9 that’s launched in India is powered by Samsung’s Exynos 9810 chip which is paired with 4 GB RAM. For those unaware, the Galaxy S9 that will be sold in the US will come with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 SoC under the hood.
Samsung will be selling the 64 GB and 256 GB internal storage variants in India, and, if that much storage isn’t enough, you do have the option of popping in a microSD card to expand the storage up to 400 GB.
Moving on to the photography department, the Galaxy S9 has a 12 MP Super Speed Dual Pixel camera at the back and an 8 MP camera on the front. However, it’s worth noting that the rear camera comes with a variable aperture of f/1.5-f/2.4 that adjusts to the lighting conditions so that you can take “crisp and clear” photos irrespective of whether it’s dark or too bright.
Furthermore, the rear camera also comes with a Super Slow-Mo feature that lets you record slow motion videos at an insane rate of 960 frames/second. Moreover, Samsung has also introduced AR Emoji that are similar to the Animoji that we have seen on Apple iPhone X.
Apart from that, the Galaxy S9 also features Intelligent Scan which relies on iris scanning and facial recognition to quickly unlock the smartphone based on various conditions.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Specifications
- CPU: Exynos 9810 SoC
- RAM: 4 GB LPDDR4X
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Display: 5.8-inch Quad-HD+ (2960 x 1440 pixels) Curved Super AMOLED Infinity Display
- Rear Camera: 12 MP Super Speed Dual Pixel camera with variable aperture (f/1.5-f/2.4), Optical Image Stabilization, Super Slow-Mo, AR Emoji and LED flash
- Front Camera: 8 MP with f/1.7 aperture
- Internal Storage: 64/256 GB
- External Storage: Expandable up to 400 GB via microSD card
- SIM: Dual Hybrid SIM
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, NFC, 3.5 mm headphone jack, USB Type-C
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, Iris Recognition, Intelligent Scan, Dolby Atmos, AKG-tuned Stereo Speakers, IP68 Dust and Water Resistance, Bixby, Real-time Translation Heart Rate Monitoring, Knox 3.1
- Colors: Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Lilac Purple
- Battery: 3000 mAh with Fast Wired Charging compatible with Quick Charge 2.0, also supports Wireless Charging
Samsung Galaxy S9 Price in India and Availability
- Price of 64 GB storage variant: ₹57,900
- Price of 256 GB storage variant: ₹65,900
- Availability: To be available on Flipkart, Samsung India eStore as well as through offline stores across the country from March 16. The 256 GB variant will only be available at Reliance Digital Stores, Samsung Exclusive Stores and Samsung India eStore.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Offers
- Cashback of ₹6000 when purchased from select retail stores by scanning the Paytm Mall QR Code
- Cashback of ₹6000 when purchased using No-Cost EMI option on HDFC Bank Credit and Debit Cards
- Airtel users get 80 GB of data, unlimited calling, and one year of Amazon Prime membership worth ₹999 with Infinity 499 plan. And, with Infinity 799, users get 120 GB of data, unlimited calling, one year of Amazon Prime membership, and, one free child connection.
- Reliance Jio users get unlimited voice calls, SMS and 1 Terabyte of 4G data worth ₹15,000 for ₹4999 with complimentary Jio Prime Membership.
- Existing or new Vodafone customers get free subscription to Netflix for a year on Vodafone Red plans starting at ₹999 till April 30. Moreover, prepaid users who do a recharge of ₹199 get unlimited voice and 1.4 GB data per day along with additional 10 GB of free data every month for next 10 recharges.