Last year in December, telecom operator Vodafone announced that it will start rolling out VoLTE service in India from January 2018. The telco even rolled out the VoLTE service in Gujarat last month without any announcement. Now today, Vodafone has officially announced the launch of VoLTE in Gujarat, albeit in Surat and Ahmedabad only. Alongside that, the telco also announced the launch of VoLTE in Mumbai as well as Delhi-NCR circles.
With the launch of VoLTE service, Vodafone customers now get benefits like HD quality voice calls, faster call setup time, and, the ability to simultaneously use 4G data while on a voice call. That said, Vodafone customers aren’t charged anything extra to for using VoLTE service as voice calls and data usage is charged based on existing plans and data packs.
However, Vodafone customers who want to use the VoLTE service need to have a Vodafone 4G SIM and a VoLTE-enabled smartphone. If you have a 2G/3G SIM, you can visit your nearest Vodafone store and get it upgraded. As far as compatibility of a smartphone with Vodafone VoLTE is concerned, following is the list of smartphones that support Vodafone VoLTE.
List of smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
OnePlus smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
- OnePlus 3
- OnePlus 3T
- OnePlus 5
- OnePlus 5T
Apple smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
- Apple iPhone 6
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPhone 6s
- Apple iPhone 6s Plus
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 8
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus
- Apple iPhone X
Honor smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
- Honor View10
- Honor 9i
- Honor 9 Lite
- Honor 6X
- Honor 7X
- Honor 8 Pro
Xiaomi smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
- Xiaomi Redmi 4
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
- Xiaomi Mi Max 2
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 2
Nokia smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
- Nokia 5
- Nokia 6
- Nokia 8
Samsung smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
- Samsung Galaxy C9 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy J7 Nxt
Gionee smartphones compatible with Vodafone VoLTE
- Gionee M7 Power
Well, while only 20 smartphones currently support Vodafone VoLTE, the telecom operator has said that its working with all the smartphone manufacturers to bring Vodafone VoLTE support to more smartphones. That said, you can also check whether your smartphone is compatible with Vodafone VoLTE or not by sending SMS ‘4G CHECK’ to 199.
How to enable Vodafone VoLTE on your smartphone ?
- Check whether your device is compatible with Vodafone’s VoLTE network (see list above or SMS ‘4G CHECK’ to 199)
- Make sure your smartphone is running the latest version of the software provided by the smartphone manufacturer
- Upgrade to a Vodafone 4G SIM if you are currently using a 2G/3G SIM. You can get it upgraded by visiting your nearest Vodafone store.
- If your smartphone supports VoLTE technology, make sure it’s turned on by going to the Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G > Turn on Voice & Data menu on iOS device, or, Settings > Mobile Network > Turn on VoLTE call menu on Android device. That said, the option might be tucked inside a different setting based on which company’s Android smartphone you are using.
- More importantly, if your smartphone supports Dual SIM, be sure to put the Vodafone 4G SIM inside the first slot if you wish to use Vodafone’s VoLTE services. Also, don’t forget to set the Network Type to Auto by going to the Settings > SIM Networks > Preferred Network Type > 4G/3G/2G menu. Again, the location of the option would vary based on the smartphone.
Vodafone VoLTE is currently only available in Gujarat (Surat and Ahmedabad), Mumbai and Delhi-NCR, but, the telecom operator is going to launch the VoLTE service in more circles in the coming months.