Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact announced with 5-inch FHD+ HDR Display, Snapdragon 845 SoC and 19 MP camera
Japanese tech giant Sony at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2018 announced its Xperia XZ2 smartphone. With the Xperia XZ2, Sony has finally trimmed off those ugly bezels on the smartphone and has switched to a more modern design. However, the Xperia XZ2 is not the only smartphone Sony has announced. Alongside the XZ2, this Japanese tech giant also announced the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact.
The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is successor to the Xperia XZ1 Compact that was launched last year at IFA 2017 in Berlin, Germany. And, if it’s still unclear, the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact is actually a smaller version of the Xperia XZ2.
While the Sony Xperia XZ2 features a 5.7-inch Full-HD+ display, the Xperia XZ2 sports a smaller 5-inch display, albeit with the same resolution and aspect ratio of 18:9. Moreover, the design of Xperia XZ2 Compact is also the same as that of the Xperia XZ2, however, the former features frosted finishing at the back while the latter boasts 3D glass surface.
Well apart from the difference in the size of display and the material at the back, both these smartphones also differ in terms of battery size. The Sony Xperia XZ2 packs a 3180 mAh battery whereas the Xperia XZ2 Compact ships with a smaller 2870 mAh battery.
Having said that, apart from these differences, everything else that’s found on the larger Xperia XZ2 also trickles down to the smaller Xperia XZ2 Compact – same Snapdragon 845 chip, same amount of RAM, and, same cameras.
“If entertainment is your priority, then our new Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact are your smartphones. From what’s inside — world-class technology, to a new sleek, sophisticated design, these smartphones are everything you need and probably a lot more. We have pushed Sony’s boundaries even further with our new products for movie recording, viewing, and music listening – offering entertainment to the extreme.” said Hideyuki Furumi, Executive Vice President, Global Sales and Marketing, Sony Mobile Communications.
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact Specifications
- CPU: Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor
- RAM: 4 GB
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo
- Display: 5.0-inch Full-HD+ (2160 x 1080 pixels) HDR TRILUMINOUS display with 18:9 aspect ratio, Gorilla Glass 5 and X-Reality for mobile
- Rear Camera: 19 MP Motion Eye Camera with 1/ 2.3” Exmor RS™ for mobile memory-stacked sensor, f/2.0 aperture, BIONZ mobile image-processing engine, Predictive Capture, Predictive Hybrid Auto-focus, SteadyShot, 4K HDR Movie Recording, 960 FPS Super Slow-Mo Recording in HD and Full-HD resolution, and, LED flash
- Front Camera: 5 MP 1/ 5” Exmor RS™ for mobile sensor with f/2.2 aperture and SteadyShot
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: Expandable up to 400 GB via microSDXC card
- SIM: Single/Dual SIM (depending on market)
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi, NFC, USB Type-C Gen 3.1
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, IP65/68 Dust and Water Resistance, Stereo Speakers, Hi-Res Audio, LDAC, aptX HD
- Colors: Black, White Silver, Moss Green, Coral Pink
- Battery: 2870 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact Price and Availability
- Price: To be announced later
- Availability: To be available from next month