Vivo just announced its latest flagship, the Vivo V9 surprisingly with a notch at the top and almost bezel-less display. Also being a selfie phone with 24 MP front camera, it’s gorgeously looking glass body and dual cameras makes the phone incredible. Here’s the Vivo V9.
Vivo V9 Specifications
- Display: 6.3-inch FullView IPS LCD Display, Full HD+ resolution (2280 x 1080 pixels), 19:9 aspect ratio, 2.5D curved glass
- Software: Android 8.1 Oreo, FunTouch OS 4.0 UI
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, at the back
- Face Unlock: Yes, AI Face Access
- CPU: Up to 2.2 GHz octa-core Cortex-A53 processor, Qualcomm Snapdragon 626, 14nm LPP
- GPU: Adreno 506, OpenGL 3.1+
- Memory: 4 GB LPDDR3 RAM
- Storage: 64 GB internal storage, MicroSD support up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- Main Camera: Dual cameras (16 MP + 5 MP), PDAF, AI Bokeh Mode, Single LED flash, 4K video @30fps
- Front Camera: 24 MP, f/2.0, Portrait Mode, AI Face Beauty, AR Stickers and Lighting Effects, Screen flash, 1080p video @30fps
- Connectivity: Micro USB port, USB OTG support, 3.5 mm stereo jack, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, FM Radio
- Cellular: 4G LTE, Dual nano SIM (GSM), VoLTE-enabled
- Battery: 3,260 mAh Li-Ion (non-removable)
- Colors: Pearl Black, Gold
- Price: ₹22,990
- Availability: Flipkart, Amazon India, Offline retail stores
The front design is something that you might have seen before. Yes, it looks like Apple iPhone X and other phones that have adopted a similar design (ASUS ZenFone 5 for instance). Not just from the front side, the rear cameras are also vertically placed. The whole body is covered with glass, the back has a glass design with curved edges adding to its ergonomics, fits in the hands very well.
The Vivo V9 has a 6.3-inch screen with a resolution of 2280 x 1080 and an unusual 19:9 aspect ratio. According to Vivo, it has a screen-to-body ratio of 90%. The screen bezels are almost invisible, thanks to the notch and the large screen.
Vivo has its first dual camera smartphone, the V9 sports two rear cameras (13 MP + 5 MP) that support AI-powered bokeh mode. The bokeh mode or Portrait mode will help you to blur the background and keep the object in focus. Since there are dual cameras, the focus and depth can be adjusted after snapping the pictures similar to what we have seen on the Vivo V5 Plus (dual selfie cameras).
The front side hooks up a 24 MP camera with AI Face Beauty, AR Stickers, and Lightning effects. This seems to the same camera module the Vivo V7 and Vivo V7+ comes with, however, with additional software optimizations and AI-enabled.
When you take selfies, the AI Face Beauty will Artificial Intelligence abilities to determine the age, sex and skin tones to give you the best results. On the other hand, the AR Stickers add effects in real-time just as you have seen on the Instagram and Snapchat.
Like the V7 and V7+, the Vivo V9 uses the AI Face Access to unlock the phone with facial recognition which also can be used to unlock secured apps. Also added is a feature called AI Attention Sensing that determines whether you are looking at the phone or not to reduce the notification volume.
Vivo V9 has upgraded the internals, slightly better than the predecessor and identical to the previous Snapdragon 625 (in Vivo V5 Plus). The Vivo V9 is powered by the Snapdragon 626 octa-core CPU paired with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage with an option to expand up to 256 GB via microSD card.
Well, this isn’t a huge change in the hardware, so the performance won’t be noticeable in the real world as compared to the previous models. In terms of performance, the Vivo X21 with Snapdragon 660 and 6 GB RAM is much better and could be the best-in-class phone in the above-midrange segment.
The great news is that the Vivo V9 boots up in Android 8.1 Oreo patched with Funtouch OS version 4.0. It’s the latest Android build as of now and is certainly ahead than many smartphones. The battery on the V9 is a 3,260 mAh capacity that keeps the phone running.
Check out the quick unboxing of Vivo V9 here.
The Vivo V9 will be available in Black and Gold variants and a price of ₹22,990. We will soon perform our full review of the Vivo V9, till then share your views about the phone in the comments below.