Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S announced with 5.99-inch 18:9 Display, Snapdragon 845 SoC and AI Dual Camera
And this one doesn't come with a notch. Yay !
We have been hearing about the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S since January this year, and until now, we have come across several leaks and rumors that revealed details about this smartphone. However, all that comes to an end now as Xiaomi has finally announced the Mi MIX 2S at an event in Shanghai, China.
The Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S is a successor to the Mi MIX 2 that was launched last year in September. The design of the Mi MIX 2S remains largely unchanged from the Mi MIX 2 as the smartphone still flaunts smaller bezels at its three sides – top, left and right – with the bottom bezel being relatively larger.
The Mi MIX 2S is built out of 7000 Series aluminium frame while also featuring a four-sided curved ceramic body. Yes, this means that you can see yourself when you look at the back of the phone. And, this also means that back of the phone will be a fingerprint magnet. That said, you can also “MI MIX DESIGNED BY XIAOMI” being etched on the back of the phone. Something that we also saw on last year’s Mi MIX 2.
Having said that, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S sports a 5.99-inch display with an aspect ratio of 18:9 and resolution of 2160 x 1080 pixels. There were rumors earlier that the Mi MIX 2S will come with an in-display fingerprint scanner, but nothing like that has happened as the Mi MIX 2S comes with a traditional fingerprint scanner that resides on the back of the phone.
Under the hood, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S comes with Qualcomm’s latest and greatest Snapdragon 845 SoC which is paired with 6 or 8 GB RAM. The 6 GB RAM variant comes with 64 and 128 GB of internal storage, whereas, the 8 GB RAM variant (which is special edition) comes with 256 GB of internal storage.
The Mi MIX 2S runs Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box that’s layered with Xiaomi’s MIUI 9 atop. Well, this makes the Mi MIX 2S the first Xiaomi smartphone that runs Android Oreo out of the box. Furthermore, the Mi MIX 2S also comes with Xiao AI virtual assistant that can perform different actions for you. Apart from this, the Mi MIX 2S also comes with support for Google ARCore which makes it the first smartphone in China to support this technology.
Moving on to the photography department, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S features a dual camera setup at the back in the top-left corner which is a combination of one 12 MP camera with wide-angle lens and one 12 MP camera with telephoto lens. The telephoto camera lets you take photos of distant objects with 2x optical zoom without any significant loss in detail.
That said, the rear cameras also come along with features such as AI-powered Portrait Mode and AI Scene Detection that let you take photos and then adjust the bokeh while also letting you add some effects to the background.
For selfies and videos and video calls, you get a 5 MP camera on the front residing on the bottom bezel which also comes with some AI capabilities. With that being said, the cameras on the Mi MIX 2S have got a DxOMark score of 101 points which is very much impressive. However, DxOMark scores are just numbers, so we will wait for some reviews before getting bedazzled by that score.
Moving on, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S comes with support for 6 modes and 43 network bands that are compatible across 226 countries around the world. The smartphone is available in two colors – Black and White – and it ships with a 3400 mAh battery which fuels the entire package. That said, it’s worth noting that the Mi MIX 2S comes with support for Qi Wireless Charging which makes it the first Xiaomi smartphone to support this charging tech.
Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S Specifications
- CPU: 2.8 GHz Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor
- RAM: 6/8 GB LPDDR4X
- GPU: Adreno 630
- Operating System: MIUI 9 based on Android 8.1 Oreo
- Display: 5.99-inch Full-HD+ (2160 x 1080 pixels) IPS LCD display with 18:9 aspect ratio, Gorilla Glass, DCI-P3 color gamut, 403 ppi pixel density, Sunlight Display, Night Display and Reading Mode
- Rear Camera: 12 MP (with wide-angle lens, f/1.8 aperture, 4-axis OIS) + 12 MP (with telephoto lens, f/2.4 aperture) with Dual Pixel Auto-focus, Hardware-level Multi-Frame Noise Reduction, AI Portrait Mode, AI Scene Detection, Dynamic Bokeh and LED flash
- Front Camera: 5 MP with AI Portrait Mode
- Internal Storage: 64/128/256 GB UFS 2.1 (256 GB storage on 8 GB RAM variant)
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano + Nano)
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, NFC (multi-function), USB Type-C (no 3.5 mm headphone jack), supports 43 network bands
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, Face Unlock, Xiao AI Virtual Assistant, Google ARCore
- Colors: Black, White
- Battery: 3400 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0 and support for Qi Wireless Charging
Xiaomi Mi MIX 2S Price and Availability
- Price of 6 GB RAM + 64 GB storage variant: CNY 3299 (around $525/₹34,052)
- Price of 6 GB RAM + 128 GB storage variant: RMB 3599 (around $573/₹37,150)
- Price of 8 GB RAM + 256 GB storage variant: RMB 3999 (around $637/₹41,278)
- Availability: Goes on sale in China from April 3. No word on availability in other markets