SHARP AQUOS S3 goes official with 6-inch 18:9 notched screen, dual rear cameras and Snapdragon 630 SoC
The dual camera setup at the back is a combination of one 12 MP (wide-angle) and one 13 MP (telephoto) camera
Last week, Japanese technology brand SHARP announced the SHARP AQUOS S3 mini smartphone, and a couple of days later, the company said that it will launch the SHARP AQUOS S3 on March 28. Well, it’s still March 27, but the company has already announced the SHARP AQUOS S3, which is a successor to the SHARP AQUOS S2 that was launched last year in August.
The SHARP AQUOS S3 is covered by curved glass at the front and on the back, and, the frames of the smartphone are made out of aluminium alloy that help the phone resist impacts when dropped on the floor.
Like last year’s AQUOS S2, the SHARP AQUOS S3 also flaunts a bezel-less design, however, there are few changes this time. Firstly, the fingerprint scanner that was present below the display on the home button has now been moved on to the back. And secondly, the camera cut-out we saw last year is now replaced with an iPhone X-like notch.
Having said that, the SHARP AQUOS S3 features a 6-inch display with a resolution of 2160 x 1080 pixels and an aspect ratio of 18:9. The smartphone runs Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box which is layered with SHARP’s Smile UX atop.
Under the hood, there’s Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 630 SoC which is paired with 4 GB RAM and backed by Adreno 508 GPU. And, for photography, you get a dual camera setup at the back that’s a combination of one 12 MP (wide-angle) and one 13 MP (telephoto) camera. For selfies and video calls, there’s a 16 MP camera on the front that sits inside the notch.
Lastly, keeping this entire package up and running is a 3200 mAh battery that draws power from a USB Type-C port.
SHARP AQUOS S3 Specifications
- CPU: 2.2 GHz Snapdragon 630 octa-core processor
- RAM: 4 GB LPDDR4X
- GPU: Adreno 508
- Operating System: Smile UX based on Android 8.0 Oreo
- Display: 6-inch Full-HD+ (2160 x 1080 pixels) LCD display with 2.5D curved glass, 18:9 aspect ratio and 550 nits brightness
- Rear Camera: 12 MP wide-angle (with f/1.75 aperture, PDAF, 1.4μm pixel size) + 13 MP telephoto (with 6P lens, 2x optical zoom) with Portrait Mode and LED flash
- Front Camera: 16 MP with f/2.0 aperture, 2μm pixel size and AI Portrait Beauty Mode
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: Expandable up to 128 GB via microSD card
- SIM: Dual Hybrid (Nano-SIM + Nano-SIM / Nano-SIM + microSD card)
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi, NFC, 3.5 mm headphone jack, USB OTG, USB Type-C
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, Face Unlock
- Battery: 3200 mAh with Quick Charge 3.0
SHARP AQUOS S3 Price and Availability
- Price: NTD 11,990 (around $411/₹26,700)
- Availability: Goes on sale in Taiwan from April 1. No word on availability in other markets