Last week, Chinese smartphone brand Xiaomi launched the much awaited Redmi Note 5 in India. But alongside that, Xiaomi also launched the Redmi Note 5 Pro in the country. At the time of launch, Xiaomi said that it would roll-out the Face Unlock feature to this smartphone by the end of March through an OTA update. But, Xiaomi has exceeded expectations and has rolled out Face Unlock even before the month of February comes to an end.
The Face Unlock feature is being rolled out to Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro through MIUI 9.2.4 update. The update weighs 1.6 GB in size, and, apart from bringing in Face Unlock to Redmi Note 5 Pro, it also brings in improvements to camera as well as stability optimizations.
That said, while the Face Unlock feature is currently rolling out over the air to the users, those who purchase the phone will get it straight out of the box.
Well, while getting a promised feature way earlier is always good, it’s worth noting that two days ago, Honor rolled out the Face Unlock feature for Honor 9 Lite in India which could be a reason for Xiaomi pushing the update earlier in a bid to compete better with Honor’s mid-ranger.
With that being said, the Redmi Note 5 Pro becomes the first Xiaomi smartphone to feature Face Unlock while also being the first smartphone to be powered by Snapdragon 636 SoC. You can check out full specifications of the Redmi Note 5 Pro down below.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Specifications
- CPU: 1.8 GHz Snapdragon 636 octa-core processor
- RAM: 4/6 GB LPDDR4X
- GPU: Adreno 509
- Operating System: MIUI 9 based on Android Nougat
- Display: 5.99-inch Full-HD+ (2160 x 1080 pixels) display with 2.5D Curved Gorilla Glass and 18:9 aspect ratio
- Rear Camera: 12 MP (Sony IMX486 with f/2.2 aperture, 1.25 μm sensor) + 5 MP (f/2.0 aperture, 1.12 μm sensor) with EIS, Portrait Mode, Beautify 4.0 and LED flash
- Front Camera: 20 MP Sony IMX376 with Portrait Mode, Beautify 4.0 and LED Selfie-light
- Internal Storage: 64 GB
- External Storage: Expandable via microSD card
- SIM: Dual Hybrid SIM
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, micro USB
- Other: Fingerprint Scanner, IR Blaster, Face Unlock
- Colors: Black, Gold, Rose Gold, Lake Blue
- Battery: 4000 mAh with 5V/2A Charging
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Price in India
- Price of 4 GB RAM + 64 GB storage variant: ₹13,999
- Price of 6 GB RAM + 64 GB storage variant: ₹16,999
We will be publishing our Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro review soon, hence, if you have any questions about this phone, drop them in the comments down below. In the meantime, you check out our hands-on of the Redmi Note 5 Pro.