Airtel VoLTE service launched in Kolkata
Airtel VoLTE brings benefits such as HD quality voice calls and faster call setup time to the customers without them having to pay anything extra
One of India’s largest telecom operators – Bharti Airtel – who is often referred to as Airtel, launched its VoLTE service in Mumbai back in September last year. And since then, the telco has expanded its VoLTE footprint in Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Chennai and Coimbatore. Now today, Airtel has announced the launch of its VoLTE service in Kolkata.
With the launch of VoLTE service in Kolkata, Airtel customers will now be able to make HD quality voice calls with call setup that’s “3 times faster” than normal calls. Moreover, they will also be able to use 4G data during an ongoing voice call.
Furthermore, Airtel customers can take advantage of these benefits on VoLTE network without having to pay anything extra as they will be charged for all their calls, SMS and mobile data based on their existing plans.
Having said that, it’s worth noting that users will need an Airtel 4G SIM card and a VoLTE-enabled handset to use Airtel VoLTE service. Here’s the list of smartphones compatible with Airtel’s VoLTE service.
Commenting on the launch of VoLTE service in Kolkata, Sameer Anjaria, CEO – West Bengal & Odisha, Bharti Airtel, said, “We are delighted to extend our VoLTE footprint to Kolkata with the launch of our services today. Complementing our world class 4G network, VoLTE will add to the customer experience and our range of smartphone offerings”.
How to enable Airtel VoLTE on your smartphone ?
- Check whether your device is compatible with Airtel’s VoLTE network (click here to see the list)
- Make sure your smartphone is running the latest version of the software provided by the smartphone manufacturer
- Upgrade to a 4G SIM if you are currently using a 2G/3G SIM. You can either get it upgraded by visiting your nearest Airtel store, or, can get it delivered to your home by filling in this form.
- If your smartphone supports VoLTE technology, make sure it’s turned on by going to the Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G > Turn on Voice & Data menu on iOS device, or, Settings > Mobile Network > Turn on VoLTE call menu on Android device. That said, the option might be tucked inside a different setting based on which company’s Android smartphone you are using.
- More importantly, if your smartphone supports Dual SIM, be sure to put the Airtel 4G SIM inside the first slot if you wish to use Airtel’s VoLTE services. Also, don’t forget to set the Network Type to Auto by going to the Settings > SIM Networks > Preferred Network Type > 4G/3G/2G menu. Again, the location of the option would vary based on the smartphone.